Appearing in court can be a frightening prospect, especially if you have never been in a court before. Some clients are even put off making compensation claims or are tempted to accept very low settlement offers due to a fear of going to court.
However, the courts are designed to give you the chance to fight for what you are legally entitled to, and if you can be prepared for your day in court, it is likely that your case will be more successful. Here are some great tips, put together by successful solicitors, to help you to prepare yourself in the best way possible.
How Can I Prepare For My Day in Court?
1. Stay calm. It’s ok to be nervous – most people are, and the courtroom can feel like an intimidating environment. However, your solicitor will be happy to advise and support you throughout the process, especially if this is your first time in court. Take the time to familiarise yourself with the courtroom if you can, and sit in on a case beforehand if possible.
2. Prepare yourself. Think about which bits of the history of your case will be most relevant to the judge when they are familiarising themselves with your situation and the evidence. You will need to make the most of your opportunity to speak in court, as this is your chance to explain your case in your own words. Stick to the truth, and present your case from your perspective.
3. Dress smartly. Wearing appropriate clothing will help you to give a professional impression, and ensure that you don’t appear disrespectful of the court. Avoid jeans, casual clothing and anything that is revealing. A suit is usually recommended.
4. Arrive on time. The courts run to very tight schedules and appointments cannot be re-arranged. You must arrive in good time for your hearing and be prepared to meet deadlines and dates set by the court throughout your case.
5. Pay attention to cross-examination. If you are cross-examined by the Defendant’s barrister in a case, it is important to listen carefully to the questions you are asked and answer them as well as you can. Ask for clarification of anything you do not understand, and remain polite and respectful at all times.
Finding Good Solicitors in Ennis, County Clare
If you have had an accident or injury, or wish to make a claim for professional negligence, you’ll want to find experienced solicitors in County Clare. Here at S.T. O’Sullivan & Co Solicitors, we specialize in these claims and have an excellent reputation for successfully managing hundreds of similar cases.
Contact S.T. O’Sullivan & Co Solicitors for a free consultation without obligation. Simply call into our office in Ennis, Co.Clare, contact us online or call us today on +353 (065) 6820620. We guarantee to call you back to discuss your case within one business day.