When children are injured it can be an extremely difficult time for their families.  If a child is injured in an accident which is not their fault they may be entitled to claim compensation.

An individual is considered to be a minor under Irish law until his or her eighteenth birthday, and it is not legally possible for minors to make a compensation claim in their own right. However, a parent or guardian, acting as ‘next friend’ in law, can represent their child and make a personal injury claim for compensation on his or her behalf.

Important Facts About Compensation Claims Involving Children:

  1. There are time limits. When an individual reaches the age of eighteen, he or she then has a two-year period in which to make a claim that relates to injury suffered in childhood. Claims made by a ‘next friend’ can be made while the child is still a minor.
  2. Evidence gathering can be difficult. If a claim is not made until an individual reaches adulthood, it can be difficult to collect relevant evidence to support a claim of personal injury during childhood. It is important, therefore, to bring the claim for compensation as soon as possible after the injury occurs and when it is easier to gather the necessary documentation and evidence.
  3. Consult a Solicitor. A personal injury solicitor will be familiar with claims of this type, and will be able to guide you through the process of making a compensation claim on behalf of a child.
  4. Financial compensation can be essential. It is always upsetting when a child suffers an injury, and the child’s health and welfare will always be the highest priority for parents and guardians.  It is prudent, however, to investigate whether your child may be entitled to compensation.  Financial support can give your child life changing options that might not be otherwise available, especially if he or she has a permanent injury.
  5. You may be offered a settlement. On occasion, you may receive an offer of compensation directly from the insurance company of the negligent person or party in question. You should discuss any such offers with your solicitor to establish whether acceptance is the best option for you, or whether you may be entitled to a more realistic sum if you pursue a personal injury claim.

Consult Personal Injury Solicitors in Ennis

If you think that you or your child may be entitled to claim compensation* as a result of personal injury or medical negligence, we will be happy to help you. Here at S.T. O’Sullivan & Co Solicitors, we specialise in claims of this type, and we can discuss your case with you and advise you on the best way to proceed.

You can see S.T. O’Sullivan & Co Solicitors in Ennis for a consultation without obligation. Simply call into our office in Ennis, Co. Clare, contact us online or call us today on +353 (065) 6820620. We guarantee to call you back to discuss your case within one business day.

*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or a proportion of any award or settlement.