Gynaecology Error Compensation Claims

Gynaecology examinations and treatments are subject to the strict standards of practice governing all medical professionals in Ireland. Gynaecology is a branch of medicine that covers many different forms of investigation and treatment, and often concerns problems that can be life threatening if untreated.

Most gynaecological examinations are problem-free. Occasionally situations can arise in which outcomes are not positive and in those circumstances it may well be that you have received substandard treatment.  If you believe that the actions of a gynaecologist have led to a negative or unsatisfactory outcome you may be entitled to make a claim for compensation.

Gynaecological Treatment: What Can Go Wrong?

Gynaecological medicine involves the female reproductive system, and medical negligence may relate to:

  • Incorrect internal repairs, usually intended to remedy problems caused during pregnancy or childbirth
  • Failed sterilisation, which can lead to an unexpected pregnancy
  • Fertility treatment, including failure to diagnose a problem
  • Poorly performed hysterectomy
  • Misdiagnosis of Endometriosis, including being given incorrect treatment for this condition
  • Problems relating to surgery in the reproductive area, including Laparoscopy, which is keyhole surgery used for diagnostic purposes

What is ‘Failure to Diagnose’?

A failure to diagnose or a misdiagnosis, arises where a medical professional  makes an error in failing to diagnose a serious condition such as a prolapse, STD, cancer of the uterus or ovaries, or other infectious diseases affecting the reproductive system. Misdiagnosis of any of these conditions could cause a delay in treatment which may affect the long-term prognosis for the patient and could be life threatening if not correctly diagnosed in time.

A compensation claim for misdiagnosis or failure to diagnose will need to establish that a competent Gynaecologist could have made the correct diagnosis, and that this would have resulted in a different treatment pathway or a more positive prognosis.

How Can I Make a Gynaecology Negligence Compensation Claim?

In the first instance, you should consult a solicitor who specializes in medical negligence claims*, such as S.T. O’Sullivan & Co Solicitors. You will meet with your solicitor and he or she will help you to prepare all the relevant documentation and information that is needed to make your claim. The legislation surrounding gynaecological negligence claims sets out specific time frames within which these claims can be made, so it is important not to delay in seeking the appropriate legal advice.

*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or a proportion of any award or settlement.


make an enquiry request a callback