Road Traffic Accidents and Car Crashes

Road traffic accidents are one of the most common causes of injury and death for thousands of people each year.  While motor insurance is designed to provide compensation as a result of such accidents, it is important to know that even if you are injured by an uninsured driver you will still be eligible to claim compensation from the Motor Insurers’ Bureau of Ireland (MIBI).

What Should I Do After a Road Accident?

A car accident can cause severe shock and it can be very stressful dealing with the immediate situation, but there are certain protocols to follow in order to ensure that you can make a compensation claim if you are injured.  You should always report the accident to the local Gardai and wait for them to arrive at the scene of the accident and get all necessary details from the drivers of the cars involved.  If you have the presence of mind to do so it will also be very helpful if you can take photographs of the damage to the cars or vehicles and the scene of the accident.  It is a good to keep a cheap disposal camera in your car at all times for this purpose.

If You Are Involved in a Road Traffic Accident, You Should:

•    Exchange insurance and contact details with the other drivers involved

•    Make a report to the Gardai immediately by telephone. They may attend the accident if it is serious or if it is causing a hazard to other road users. You may need to go the nearest Garda station and formally report the accident if the Gardaì do not attend at the scene.

•    Avoid making statements on liability for the accident, such as “it was my fault”.

•    It is always important to seek medical attention as soon as possible after an accident.  Remember that some injuries are not immediately apparent.

•    Stay at the scene of the accident until you have exchanged details of your registration number and insurance cover or until the Gardai have told you that you may leave.

•    Get legal advice.

Find Out if You Can Claim Compensation

Never assume that you will not be able to claim compensation because you think that the accident may have been your fault or partly your fault.  See a specialist solicitor* at S. T. O’Sullivan & Co. who will advise you on the question of who is liable for the accident and will work with you to claim compensation if you are entitled to it.


*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or a proportion of any award or settlement.

make an enquiry request a callback