Slips, Trips & Falls

Have you ever slipped or fallen over and felt that it really wasn’t your fault? Everyday carelessness or lack of attention is often the cause of personal accidents, but frequently an accident can occur when someone else has failed to take reasonable care to make their property safe. If this happens to you, you may be entitled to claim compensation.

Public Places

Many trips and falls occur on public streets or roadways because of the negligent manner in which a road or footpath has been constructed or repaired.  Frequently, these injuries can be serious and attract substantial amounts of compensation.

Can I Get Compensation For My Fall?

Whether or not you are eligible to claim compensation following a trip or fall will depend on the circumstances of the accident. You may be able to claim compensation for a slip, trip or fall if:

•    The Local Authority has failed in its duty to construct or repair a road, street or footpath that is safe and free from any hazards.

•    The owner of a commercial premises such as a shop or pub or one of their employees was responsible for the hazard which caused the condition that led to your accident

•    The owner of any other type of property or his/her employee knew or ought to have known about the potential hazard and did not take steps to correct it

•    The owner of a premises such as a shop or supermarket did not act reasonably to prevent accidents from occurring as a result of this hazard, such as erecting a barrier or putting clear warning signs close by.

Photographs of the scene of the accident can be very helpful.  Where possible, you should also ask that the property owner of the premises or his/her employee make a note of the fact that you have been injured in an accident.

How do I Make a Compensation Claim for a Slip, Trip or Fall?

Legally, a person is required to bring a claim for compensation within specified time limits.  It is essential, therefore, that if you intend to bring a claim for compensation you should consult an experienced solicitor* such as S.T. O’Sullivan & Co as soon as possible.  Don’t forget that they will need details of all medical treatment and expenses relating to this claim, as well as full details of the accident and why you believe you should be entitled to compensation


*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or a proportion of any award or settlement.

make an enquiry request a callback